Question:
Is California a good place for farming?
Raven
2012-07-17 12:03:49 UTC
I'd love to live in CA. It seems so much different there from my small town in Ohio. I want to be a fashion designer and have my own store but I also want to have place to grow food and have some animals. Is California a good place for that?
Eight answers:
Classy Redneck
2012-07-20 20:28:12 UTC
almost everyone else here is totally incorrect! California is home to the most productive farms in the world and is the pinnacle of modern agriculture! a real farm needs massive start up costs, and i can almost guarantee the need for a loan. if you are interested in farming, i would recommend settling in the central valley. although most residents of the larger cities look down on us, it is one of the only ag intensive regions in the state. if you prefer cooler weather but still want to live near a larger city for your store, i would recommend the sacramento area. if you would rather be near larger farms and dont mind the heat and bad reputation, iwould go to the fresno area.
?
2012-07-17 17:01:13 UTC
California is the most agriculturally diverse state in the nation. With it's climate and variety of subclimates, an amazing number of crops grow very well in one part of the state or another. However it is also very unfriendly to businesses, which farming is.

In short the land can be great depending on your location, however the laws won't be nearly as friendly as they are in Ohio.
Texas R
2012-07-17 13:48:24 UTC
as a farm region, it can be great, lots of good farms use to be located there, but from a political viewpoint, California is only slightly better than New York City. Neither area is supportive of farming (unless it's "organic") and down right hostile to commercial agriculture. Which is why both areas are loosing good farmers to Texas (not great soil, but a lot better area to do business).
angeline
2016-12-28 14:50:30 UTC
It was once an marvelous place to stay. Now everyone seems to be shifting in from the incorrect neighborhoods and its going downhill from there. There are additionally lots of recent advancements being equipped inflicting the colleges to be crowded. the colleges are incredible there. in case you probably did circulate to Santa Clarita you may desire to circulate to Saugus. it is likewise very high priced. maximum wonderful residences are on the edge of a million million. there is not any longer incredible procuring and its no longer a physically powerful place for college elderly young ones finding for a physically powerful time.
?
2012-07-18 22:16:15 UTC
Yes, agriculture is a major industry for CA. With 88,000 farms and ranches, California agriculture is nearly a $36.6 billion industry....!!!
2012-07-17 12:07:55 UTC
California's job market is pathetic and taxes are insanely high. It's pretty, but I would stay away unless you want to be poverty stricken. Most businesses aren't surviving there.
?
2012-07-18 13:16:18 UTC
The weather is right in a large portion of the state. Property is expensive though...
Lauren
2012-07-17 12:05:26 UTC
the warmer areas near the coast. it is more fertile there and the plants will get nourished well.