Question:
I want to pursue a dream of living in small-town northern Maine?
2007-05-13 09:33:30 UTC
I'm from New York City.
Yes, you may think I'm crazy for doing something like this but I hate the grasp of metropolis, and I'd like a more spacious place to live, like Maine.

Now, the place I'm interested in has mostly agricultural-type work.
Other industries include forestry, and health care.
I'm interested in either agriculture [ potato-picking :) ] or forestry.
I'm not looking to be wealthy (and believe me, you couldn't be even if you wanted to). I'm just looking for quality of life and piece of mind.

My question is... are there college majors you can take in agriculture? If so... what college(s)?
I can't seem to find one that offers this type of class.

Jobs up there are few and far-between, so I want to maximize my chances.

Thanks in advance!
Five answers:
liquidicy
2007-05-13 11:36:03 UTC
http://www.uscollegesearch.org/unity-college.html

Unity College in Unity, Maine.
mike453683
2007-05-14 10:23:34 UTC
As was prev. stated UMaine Orono has a great reputation. I studied Agriculture at UMass Amherst and with all the other colleges all linked, the 5 college community, it was fabulous. It is all there! Good dorms but as an older student I lived off campus and had the country peace at the days end. Nice community to live in, the Western Massachusetts towns.
P T
2007-05-13 20:15:52 UTC
Unity College is a great place for the naturalist, planner, and people interested in ecology.

U of Maine at Orono has a school of agriculture and forestry.

U of Maine at Presque Isle, is a campus located in Aroostook Country which is the northern area of the state and may be what you were refering to in your question.

DO NOT CONSIDER ANY OF THESE SCHOOL WITHOUT MAKING A TRIP TO THESE SCHOOL LOCATIONS!

Good Luck
benden
2007-05-17 00:28:14 UTC
Hey man, I feel for you... One thing you might want to consider is an internship on a small farm...you might really enjoy that...small salary, place to live, rewarding work. Plus you get the learning experience, which you can put to use down the road. There's a list of internship/apprentice positions available in Maine at http://attrainternships.ncat.org/Index2_afterSrch.asp?FarmName=&City=&State=ME&Region=&Phrase=&cp=1&srch=Search
oldtimer
2007-05-15 01:28:27 UTC
great idea. get out of the rat race in ny and head for maine. great place to make a life. will never regret it.